Reading 04


Through the reading and discussions in class I have come to learn a lot more about the earlier age of video games. I never knew all too much because I didn't have my first console until I was in middle school and I was never into computer games because none of my friends played them, we all played sports and were outside more often than not. It because of that lack of early immersion into video game culture that I always thought the console wars were (yet I fanboy apple over PC) stupid because its just a way to play the same game, so why does it matter? Well going back to the early days of console games with SEGA and Nintendo you can see that the choice in co
nsole wasn't about which one you wanted to play the same game, but you ended up choosing which game series you wanted to play. So the pull between SEGA and Nintendo would have been between Sonic and Mario as well as many other titles. Also since these systems were in the early stages of computer graphic and general hardware advances the "3D" graphics of a console, the ways to store game data (cards/CDs), the ability to play scrolling maps, and have colorful sprites where also huge advantages. Nintendo found the power in advertising by bundling its games along with consoles which was a huge success for them in taking over 90% of the industry at one point while SEGA was dragging its feet. My first console was an XBOX 360 and I have since then upgraded to the One, so Microsoft has been my only experience, but i'm curious to try a PlayStation once I graduate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading 02

Reading 05

Reading 00